Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Cigar Boxes

This week in class, we had a presenter come in and talk about the cigar box project he did with his grade seven's. I thought the whole project was really amazing and was couldn't believe how well the student's outcomes were. Not only was their work amazing, but I think the whole project was something that probably really engaged the students, taught them so much in so many different subject areas and is a project that they will never forget. I think the outcome of the student's work is probably something that they would be very proud of too.
One idea that I REALLY loved was the idea of using podcasting for self-assessment. Last year, I did one on one interviews with each student as part of assessment in science, but if I had taught the students how to use podcasting, not only would they be using technology as a form of assessment, but it would have been a lot less time consuming for me. It also really made a difference in the assessment to hear the student explain why they did what they did. I also think for most students, especially younger students who struggle to write a couple sentences, this would be so much more effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment